How do I register?
Please visit our workshops page for detailed workshop descriptions and a link to register.
What is the tuition for a workshop?
At Uptown Stories, we are dedicated to keeping our program accessible to any student who is interested and offer our workshops with a pay-what-you-can tuition model. We never ask for proof of need, we only ask that families can pay the most they can afford, and we will happily bill your account for the amount you specify. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Is your program free?
No. Uptown Stories is not a free program. In order to keep our workshops accessible to the entire community, our tuition is pay-what-you can. We never ask for proof of need, we only ask that families pay the most that they can afford. If you are unable to pay full tuition, please consider the most you can afford before choosing your tuition payment.
Can I pay in installments?
Yes! When you go to register, make sure that you choose the option to pay later before checking out. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how you would like to break up the payments.
I don’t want to pay online. Can I pay by check? By money order? By cash?
- We accept all forms of payment. Please make all checks out to Uptown Stories, Inc. You can bring your payment (check, money order, or cash) to the first day of the workshop your child will be attending. If you would like to mail a check or money order, please send your payments to the following address:
116 Pinehurst Avenue, Suite D44
New York, NY 10033
What is your refund and cancellation policy?
In the event that you need to cancel your registration, please send us an email at info@uptownstories as soon as possible. If you notify us at least 7 calendar days before the start of a workshop, you will be entitled to a 75% refund. If you cancel during the week before workshop, we will refund you 50% of your tuition. If you fail to notify us before the start of a workshop, you will not receive a refund.
Can my child transfer to a different workshop?
Absolutely! Send us an email at email@example.com or give us a call at (929)27-STORY and we’ll take care of the rest.
When are your workshops?
We offer workshops most days of the week after school as well as on Saturdays. All workshops meet for two hours. Please visit our workshops page for more information.
Do we need to bring any materials or snacks to class?
We provide all materials that students need to write, including laptops, although students may bring their own laptop if they prefer. We ask that students bring a water bottle.
Is my child too young? Too old?
We occasionally accept students who are outside of the 8-15 age range. Each workshop is designed with a particular age group in mind. You can find that information in our workshop descriptions. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you offer in school workshops?
Yes! We are a registered vendor with the New York City Department of Education and have offered a variety of in-school programming. If you are curious to learn more, please send an email to email@example.com.
Do you offer summer workshops?
Yes! We first began offering summer programing in 2017 and are excited to be able to keep Uptown Stories open year round! Join our mailing list to stay in the loop!
Can my child try a class before registering?
No, but if, after registering and attending the first class, your child is unhappy, or doesn’t feel like it’s a good fit, we will either help you switch workshops, reserve a credit for a future workshop, or give you a full refund. We want the students at Uptown Stories to love our program and love writing.
Do you offer individual tutoring or homework help?
No, while we would love to offer tutoring or homework help, we don’t have the space or staffing to accomplish that right now. It’s certainly part of our long-term plan for the future.
Do you accept donations?
Yes and we’re so happy you asked! We are a registered 501(c)3 non-profit corporation. If you would like to support us with a monetary donation, you can do that here.
Are there other ways to help?
Yes! There are lots of things you can do to support us:
- Create a Facebook donation campaign to benefit Uptown Stories.
- Ask your HR department at work if they have any matching programs for volunteer hours or donations. They may even have a social responsibility mandate or grants we can apply for.
- Introduce Kate to your rich and powerful friends at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Involved in your school’s PTA or have a good rapport with teachers? Tell them about us. Bring them a flyer. Tell them we’ll come share more information in person at a meeting.
- Exercise your writing muscle and leave us a glowing review on Yelp, Great Nonprofits, Google, or Facebook!
- Check out our Small Jobs Squad volunteer page and sign up for a teeny task. Enjoy the newfound fame from having your bio and photo in our gallery.
What is Uptown Stories' tax information?
Uptown Stories is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation, EIN: 46-5277811